Thursday, February 9, 2017

Losing my Patience

Today my patience is being put to the test.  Actually I'd say the last 24 hours has not been good.  Last night, I was beading and generally, other than the fact I keep disliking my designs, the beading (I am making necklaces) has been going well:  Not a lot of dropped beads;  I am remembering to tie temporary knots in the end of the string so I don't lose whole strands;  Best of all, my hands are not going numb, a problem I had a few years ago when I tried to make jewelry.

But last night, I was using very small glass seed beads, trying to make a multi strand necklace.  This project is taking a long time, much longer than with the larger beads.  But I was pretty proud of myself.  I had two strands done.  The problem came in when it was time to attach them to the clasp.  I had decided to use a magnet clasp.  I find them fun, and I thought 3 strands would fit well.  Unfortunately, I lost the second half of the magnet.  No problem I thought, I have more and I pulled one out of the bag separated the magnets and attached half of it to the other end of the necklace.  What I failed to remember was what I learned in some science class in high school.  Some magnets attract and some repel.   I had attached a repelling magnet instead of an attracting magnet.  And when I went to cut it off to try to reconnect a correct magnet, I dropped the necklace and beads went everywhere.  Not really, most landed in the tray in front of me, but none the less hours of beading were lost.  I was luckier with the second strand and only had to shorten it by an inch to make it work.  I suppose the good news is, I didn't really like the strand I lost.  And so now I can redesign it.  Still most frustrating.

This morning it was computer problems.  First thing was, I had plugged in my Apple over night so that I could take it to the coffee shop in the morning to work.  But when I went to retrieve it this morning for what ever reason the connection had come apart.  Easy fix, just take the cord with me and find a table next to a plug.  Problem fixed.  The more frustrating problem was that again for reasons I do not understand, my Safari was not connecting to the internet.  Unfortunately, again, I did not realize this until I had finished my blog entry about visiting Thailand and couldn't upload the photos I wanted to upload.  And I wasn't sure it was saving my changes.  It wasn't.  And so in trying to fix the problem, I lost all my changes.  Hence I am writing a new blog and I will redo the Thailand blog, later.  Hopefully making it better.

As I was eating my breakfast this morning, I Googled practicing patiences.  I had done this the other day to see if my blog would come up.  It doesn't.  But there was an excellent article in Psychology Today by Toni Bernhard.  Interestingly, Toni Bernhard is the author of the book "How to be Sick: A Buddhist-Inspired Guide for the Chronically Ill and Their Caregivers."  This was a book a coworker use to give to some of our patients who were suffering from both physical and mental disorders.  I never read it but the patients that did found it very helpful.  In her article,  "Impatient? Why and How to Practice Patience, she begins with with the dictionary definition.  "Patience: the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, difficulty or annoyance without getting angry or upset."  That's pretty much patience in a nutshell.

Ms Bernhard goes on to explain that being impatient only hurts ourselves and stresses us out.  She then gives suggestions on how to practice patience.  Her first step is recognizing it.  I think losing my strand of bead and my blog post fits delay, difficulty and annoyance.  Excellent article to read.  I am including the link to the article.


.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/turning-straw-gold/201305/impatient-why-and-how-practice-patience

3 comments:

  1. Please continue including pictures like the one above.
    It really helps, when reading your words brings up a feeling of stress for me. I am very glad you picked "patience" for your word this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, are the flowers in the pictures impatiens?

    ReplyDelete