Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Night at the Oscars

Last night was the 89th Academy Awards.  I love watching the Oscars.   I use to have Oscar parties when I lived in Chicago.  I received calls from several friends during the day and got an email from a friend during the awards with pictures of my old group getting together.   She said it wasn't the same without me.  How sweet.  I am missed in Chicago.  I know that.  And I do miss Chicago, much more my friends than the city, but sometimes the city too.

So this year I attend another Oscar party hosted by my sister, Judy in Tulsa.  I helped with the preparations, making some of the cupcakes  (not decorating, that was Judy's job.  I don't have enough patience for it.  :-)).  And I made Chili Bianco from the Women of Great Taste cookbook which turned out delicious if I do say so myself.  Judy and and have a long history of cooking together probably starting around age 6 or so.

We also have a long history of well, just being together (since the womb) though we have spent many years apart.  And I would say there have been very many times when we have lost patience with each other as can be expected with family members.

In the kitchen, Judy is much more focused and patient than I am.  But she has specific ideas on how things should be.  Yesterday for instance, it was her friends that were coming to the party so she had more at stake than I did.  She wanted things to be perfect.  I practice good enough.  She had been obsessing about the cup cakes that had to match the themes of all nine nominated films.  They turned out great but I had to keep reassuring her they were fine.

And I discover that the more tired we get the less patience we have with each other.  But that is natural and normal well.   Rested parents have much more patience with their kids than ones that are dog tired from working, and cleaning etc. etc.  We got through it and had a great time.

I was also thinking about patience as it relates to the movies and the movie stars.  To be successful at anything requires perseverance which requires patience.  The willingness to wait for your efforts to pay off.  Something that I struggle with all the time.  But Judy says that perseverance isn't just about waiting.  Perseverance is an active verb.  Not passive.  You have to keep working.  It's not just about waiting.  I learn things from my sister all the time.

I took these photos quickly on my phone.  I have less artistic opportunities with that way of photographing.  But it does take great sharp pictures.




No comments:

Post a Comment