Friday, February 10, 2017

More Definitions

Reading yesterday's post, I realized the title was not very accurate.  Patience is not what happens to us.  Stuff happens to us all the time.  It is our reaction to that stuff that makes us patient or impatient.  I could have (and might have in the past) thrown all my beads into a bag and said "screw it".  This is too hard, I'm not doing it any more.  But I didn't.  I saved what I could and although I haven't gone back to work on the other strands, I will.  And instead of throwing the towel in with losing the changes to my blog post, I wrote another to express my frustration.  So I am practicing.  I am improving.  I am learning to deal with and tolerate delay, difficulties or annoyances.

But there is more to being patient than just that.  There are other definitions.  Two of my favorites:  "not hasty or impetuous:" and "steadfast despite opposition, difficulty or adversity.

Not hasty or impetuous speaks to impulsivity.  I am an impulsive person.  Two of my especially problem areas are eating and spending money.  I've always prided myself for being able to make decisions easily and quickly.  Maybe that isn't such a good thing though.  In some cases, yes, quick decisions are necessary and good.  But not always.  I think I have never liked the state of indecision.  It feels uncomfortable.

Steadfast despite opposition, difficulty or adversity is about staying a course without expecting immediate results.  Dieting and exercise come to mind here. Also writing and photography.  The process of learning and improving instead of expecting to be perfect right out of the gate.  This again reminds me of fixed mindset vs growth mindset.  All things to explore in upcoming posts.  Stay tuned.  


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fine photography does not show any impulsivity at all.

    ReplyDelete